What is Remedial massage?
Remedial massage involves the assessment and treatment of muscles, tendons, ligaments and connective tissues of the body, in order to aid rehabilitation, pain and injury management. The goal is to restore normal health and function by treating the symptoms and causes of biomechanical dysfunction or injury, using specific mobilisation techniques.
What does it treat?
Remedial massage assists in the treatment of numerous conditions, by
- stimulating the circulatory system
- improving lympathic flow and drainage
- reducing muscular tension
- increasing joint mobility and flexibility
- assisting in tissue regeneration
- improving recovery of soft tissue injuries
- improving skin tone
- promoting a deep feeling of relaxation through the release of endorphins (the brain chemicals that produce feelings of wellbeing), and the reduction of stress hormones (such as adrenaline, cortisol and norepinephrine). Studies show that high levels of stress hormones impair the immune system.
- Reducing anxiety and depression
- Increasing mental alertness